Picture taken from www.psvjeugd.nl
  • Name: Alexander Jakobsen
  • Age: 18 (18-03-1994)
  • Position: Winger
  • Club: PSV Eindhoven
  • International Caps: None
  • Value: Unknown

A couple of years ago Alexander Jakobsen became famous; not only in Denmark but in most of the world. Back then, Jakobsen half-time entertainment in Parken and known for his Danske Bank commercial... He was the Danish Ronaldinho. Today, he has had a couple of years in the shadow, but is not ready to take the scene once again.

In Denmark Jakobsen played in both FC Copenhagen's youth department KB and in Lyngby, before joining PSV 18 months ago. It was at Copenhagen's home ground, Parken, the media circus around the Danish-Egyptian started with half-time entertainment. Soon after, Alexander Jakobsen's name was on every Danes lips when we appeared in a commercial for the bank, Danske Bank.


Jakobsen says about the time: "I was a school boy who loved football, and I got extreme attention which I was not ready for. I was on television every twenty second because of that commercial and when I was shopping with my mother I had to wear a hat not to be recognised. It was extreme, but I am happy I got the opportunity."

The Dane quickly became known as Denmark's Ronaldinho, and his reputation spread all over Europe. Twice he was invited to Liverpool, and on the rumour mill both Real Madrid and Barcelona was interested in the young players. However, Jakobsen stayed in Copenhagen where  reality hit him:

"I had a hard time in FCK, where I was struggling with injuries. I was invited to Liverpool twice, and the club liked me; everything was going great and nothing could stop me. Then suddenly I had my injury, and almost had to start over and fight to comeback. I realised that it was not as easy as I thought, but I have learned from it."

It is no wonder that Jakobsen is a talent. His father is the former Al Ahly and Egypt national team player Adel Ahmed, and he is supporting his son all the way.

"I learned a lot from my father while I was in FCK and Lyngby; he means a lot to me. He has felt it on his own body, so he tells me what to do and not to do on and off the pitch. I’m just happy that I have his support," the winger says.

Later, the Danish Ronaldinho joined Lyngby before leaving Denmark to play for PSV Eindhoven. Immediately, Jakobsen felt the difference between Danish and Dutch football as he experienced a more competitive environment, where only the best players are chosen for the matches.

During the interview, Alexander Jakobsen remembers an episode from one of his first trainings in the Dutch club:
"In training I was playing attacking midfield, and the defensive midfielder from the other team started talking to me and asking me things. I lost my concentration because I answered him and then when I got the ball he ‘smashed’ me down. It is a very different mentality; you do everything to win."

Jan Heintze
However, it was not only on the training ground, the talent had problems. From the start,  he missed his family, friends and girlfriend, but at the same time he is aware that this has only made him stronger. In Eindhoven, Jakobsen moved in with the former Danish national player Jan Heintze, from whom he learns a lot. After matches, Heintze speaks with the talent, and tells him where he can improve and what he can do different. Furthermore, the former Danish national and PSV Eindhoven player encourage Alexander to keep developing.

"Sometimes when I’m watching TV he comes with a newspaper or something else from his time at the national team. When I see what Jan has achieved it makes me hungry for more and makes me want more. Maybe on his level or even higher," Jakobsen says laughing.

Jan Heintze is not Jakobsen's only Danish friend in Eindhoven, who also have Mathias Zanka Jørgensen on contract. The 22-year-old defender and Jakobsen often goes out for dinner or meet for a game of PlayStation.

While Zanka has had his debut on the Danish national team, Danes can not expect to see Jakobsen in the red shirt. Due to his Egyptian father and Danish mother, Alexander Jakobsen has the opportunity to represent either Denmark or Egypt on a national level. So far he has not got a youth match for Denmark, and now Egypt is likely to invite him to play at the African Cup of Nations for under-20's. An invitation Jakobsen is ready to accept, but at the same time he has not decided which national team he will represent on A-level.

The future will tell which country the talent will represent. One thing is for sure; Jakobsen is one of many Danish players who has been through the Dutch system; many of them only to return to Danish football. However, Jakobsen is confident that he can make it in Holland and in other European leagues. After a couple of years with less or no attention from the media, the boy formerly known as Denmark's Ronaldinho is ready for more.

"I’ve been here 1½ year now, I speak fluent Dutch and I haven’t missed the media attention, but now it is beginning to return because I am doing well. And to be honest I like it when people recognise me on the street", he says.